10 Book Confessions: Cindy Young Turner


Whether you choose to acknowledge this day or not, I must express my gratitude before introducing another installment of 10 Book Confessions.  Today, we bow our heads and remember the many lives lost, and the many who still serve and wear a poppy in honour. And I hope that we continue to remember on days other than today as well. Thank you and many hugs and love on this Remembrance Day.

Now, I welcome Cindy Young Turner to the blog!

1. I was an English major and never took a Shakespeare class. Partly because I refused to shell out the big bucks for the class version of the collected works of Shakespeare (which was required) when I already had a nice doorstop version of my own that was a book award from high school. I also just don’t enjoy reading Shakespeare. I’d much rather see it performed.

2. I have no desire to read Twilight.

3. I love Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series, but I still haven’t read Echo in the Bone, the most recent book. It’s been on my shelf for several years. I’m intimidated by the sheer size of the book and so far the first chapter hasn’t pulled me in. Plus I’m afraid something bad might happen to the characters I love. (see #5) But maybe not, since the next book in the series comes out in 2014.

4. Usually the book is better than the movie, but not so for Moby Dick. I couldn’t stand the few chapters I was forced to read in high school, but I really enjoyed the classic film with Gregory Peck. It told me all I needed to know. Patrick Stewart also did a film version that was so horrible I’d like to scrub it from my memory.

5. I sometimes skim ahead if a book is really intense and I’m worried about the characters, to see if they’ll be okay. This is hard to do with my Kindle, though. Maybe it’s just as well since I’m working my way through A Song of Ice and Fire and fully expecting all of the characters I like to be dead by the time I’m finished.

6. My favorite books are the ones that make me cry.

7. When Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, I pre-ordered it. On delivery day, I was afraid to even use the bathroom because UPS would not leave the book if you weren’t there to receive it. I spent the next three days reading. And yes, the ending made me cry.

8. I have a fear of spiders, but one of my favorite childhood books was Charlotte’s Web. I loved it so much I could read the whole book in an afternoon. My parents would occasionally take it away from me so I’d read other books.

9. When I was a kid, my friends and I spent a lot of time during the summer sitting outside on a blanket reading. One year I had the idea that we should write books and start our own library. We wrote and illustrated a few picture books. I think mine featured my stuffed animals. Needless to say, our library never really got off the ground.

10. I miss having used bookstores nearby. They are the reason my house is overflowing with books because who could resist books for 25 cents or a dollar? I wish I could say I’ve finally read all the ones I’ve purchased, but nope, I’m still working through them. A lot are classics that I hope to read someday.

Thief of Hope blurb

Sydney, a street urchin and pickpocket in the town of Last Hope, has managed to evade the oppressive Guild for years, but there is no escaping fate when she's sentenced to death for associating with the resistance.
After she's rescued by a wizard, Sydney is forced to accept that magic—long outlawed throughout the Kingdom of Thanumor—still exists, and the Tuatha, a powerful faery folk, are much more than ancient myth and legend. When the wizard offers a chance to fight the Guild and bring Willem, bastard prince and champion of the Tuatha, to the throne, Sydney embraces the cause as a way to find her own redemption.
But Sydney's fear of the Guild, distrust of authority, and surprising connection to the Tuatha threaten Willem's success. Can she untangle the strange threads that entwine her life not only to the fate of the kingdom, but also to Willem himself?

 


 

1 Response to "10 Book Confessions: Cindy Young Turner"

  1. Cindy Young-Turner Says:

    Thanks for having me, Avery! And happy Veterans Day to all who have served and continue to serve!