10 Book Confessions: Author Katie O'Sullivan

I'd like to introduce you to Author Katie O'Sullivan and her 10 Book Confessions! She's also written a fantastic book, Son of a Mermaid!


 10 Book Confessions by Katie O'Sullivan

  1. I’ve never finished Jane Eyre. This may sound like a horrible thing for an English major to actually admit, but I was never required to read it… so I never did. I own a copy. It’s still in my TBR pile. (It’s pretty dusty.)
  2. My boys had to force me to read Game of Thrones. Both of my sons read all of the wonderful G.R.R. Martin’s Fire and Ice series before I ever cracked the first book. They kept begging me to read them so we could discuss them, but I figured they must be “boy” books. BUT…when I finally agreed to read book one, I finished it in two days and then continued straight through the rest of the series.
  3. I used to read at my desk when I worked in advertising. When I commuted into Boston, I’d always read on the bus or the train. Sometimes I just had to finish a chapter… or the rest of the book, depending on how busy my department was.
  4. I read the sixth Harry Potter novel in a night. Both boys were reading the series at the time, and I was third on the family list for the one hardcover we purchased (we drew straws.) SO I borrowed it after they went to bed and stayed up all night reading it. And then snuck it back into the boys’ room just after dawn, before they woke up.
  5. When I’m in the middle of a good book, I can’t focus on anything else. Luckily I read quickly. There are some books I can manage to keep in the car to read at the bus stop, etc., but when I get “into” a book, I tend to forget everything else. And burn dinner.
  6. I love reading YA and middle grade fantasy. When I first rediscovered YA (sometime around the release of the first Harry Potter book) I was embarrassed to admit I read teen books for myself, and pretended to be buying them/taking them out of the library for my kids. Now there seem to be a lot more adults reading YA than there were fifteen years ago. Which is a good thing.
  7. I can recite Goodnight Moon from memory. And my son is now almost 18. We read it that many times.
  8. Typos and poor editing in a book make me physically cringe. One or two mistakes may be forgivable, but after finding a handful I can’t finish a book. If it wasn’t important enough for the author to find and fix the problems, it’s not important enough for me to finish reading the book.
  9. I hate when the heroine falls for the “wrong” boy. Why is it that we authors perpetuate the bad boy stereotypes, and don’t give our female characters good solid heroes? Why must they all be fatally flawed? And why do our heroines put up with their behavior?
  10. I loved The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, and HATED the first movie. And I’m glad they put the second movie on hold.

 About Katie:

Katie O’Sullivan lives on the shores of Cape Cod and dreams of mermaids. A graduate of Colgate University, Katie has been writing stories since second grade. She’s written for a variety of local magazines and newspapers in the Boston area, and currently writes romantic suspense and YA novels. She drinks way too much coffee, enjoys spending time with her family, and takes long walks on the beach with her dogs every day.

Son of a Mermaid is her first novel for teen readers, published by Crescent Moon Press in May 2013. Set along the beaches of Harwich, the story follows a fifteen-year-old boy, Shea MacNamara, through his process of discovering his roots and his destiny, both of which stretch well below the cool Atlantic waters.

About the book:
Shea MacNamara's life just got complicated.
 After a freak tornado devastates his Oklahoma farm, the fifteen-year-old orphan moves to Cape Cod to live with a grandmother he's never met. Struggling to make sense of his new surroundings, he meets a girl along the shore who changes his life forever.
 Kae belongs to an undersea world hidden from drylanders. The daughter of royal servants, she knows the planned marriage of her Princess to the foreign King should put an end to the war between the clans. Two things stand in the way of lasting peace: an ambitious Regent and rumors of a half-human child who will save the oceans.
 Sparks fly when she meets Shea, but could the cute drylander really be the Son of a Mermaid?
 

Find Katie and Son of a Mermaid online here:


 

2 Response to "10 Book Confessions: Author Katie O'Sullivan "

  1. Katie O'Sullivan Says:

    Thanks for inviting me to confess, Avery! It was fun!

  2. Bunny Milku Says:

    This wwas a lovely blog post